College Student Volunteer Program: 2018-2019 Academic Year Session
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children's Mercy! Our student volunteer roles are highly competitive and registration can close within weeks of opening.
The 2017-2018 Student Volunteer School Year Session is a full academic year/40 week volunteer commitment where you will volunteer once per week, the same day and time each week. Students must meet a minimum of 100 volunteer hours during this time. The dates for this volunteer session are Monday, August 20 through Sunday, May 19, 2019. Please note all communication will be sent to you via e-mail. Please use a valid e-mail address that you check often, and make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org as a safe sender so the communication you receive does not go to your junk box/spam folder.
Get Experience and Give Back
Our college student volunteers are integral to our work serving the families at Children’s Mercy and each role is equally important in our mission to transform the lives of children in our care.
By volunteering at Children’s Mercy, you’re stepping up to support thousands of kids facing illness or injury and their families — and that’s a big deal.
While you won’t be able to shadow the medical staff or watch procedures, you will be an important supporting member of the team, providing comfort and creating the best experience possible for families visiting Children’s Mercy.
We couldn’t provide the care we do without volunteers like you.
Explore Volunteer Opportunities for College Students
Every volunteer has the opportunity to provide comfort to patients, families and visitors, ensuring each and every person who walks through our doors has a positive experience while at Children’s Mercy.
Guest Services & Hospitality Roles
Help make every visitor feel welcome and ensure they have the most comfortable visit possible from the moment they walk in the door and throughout their stay.
Do fun activities with patients and their families to help pass time in the waiting room areas throughout the hospital.
Provide much needed support to the parents and patients spending time at Children’s Mercy through daytime and evening activities that help promote a positive experience during a difficult time.
College Student Volunteer Requirements
Please read the following requirements carefully and ensure you meet all of them before submitting your application. This process is in place to provide a safe, positive experience for our patients and their families, and for you as a volunteer.
- Age: You are at least 18 years old and enrolled in college courses.
- Time Commitment: You can volunteer in a three-hour shift in a specific role each week. For summer sessions, volunteers are asked to commit to 30 hours of service. During school sessions, volunteers are asked to commit to 100 hours of service.
- Health & Background Clearance: The health and safety of our patients and their families is paramount, so you’ll be required to submit an application and online interview, pass a background check, complete a health form and maintain current vaccinations.
- Performance Standards: You are prepared to abide by all of our hospital’s policies including all patient confidentiality rules and customer service expectations.
Important Dates for the 2018-2019 Academic Year Program
- Monday, July 2: Deadline to submit the required completed health from, application and online interview.
- Thursday, Aug. 2 or Tuesday Aug. 14: Orientation dates for new student volunteers (required to attend one)
- Monday, Aug. 20 through Sunday, May, 19, 2019: Academic Year Program period - students must complete their volunteer hours during this period.
Steps to becoming a student volunteer
- Step 1: Complete a health and consent form.
- Step 2: Complete application.
- If you are new: Once we receive your health form, we will send you a link to complete a full online application.
- If you are a current or returning student, please complete the brief returning student registration form.
- Step 3: Complete Online Information Session and Interview
- Once your application and health form have been received, we will send you the link to compete an online interview. Reminder all 3 steps must be completed by 7/2/18.
- Step 4: Attend Orientation.
- This is for new students only. At orientation you will learn more about volunteering at Children’s Mercy.
Have Questions About Being a Volunteer While in College?
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about becoming a volunteer at Children’s Mercy.